because life is not static, there is an inherent beat and rhythm to it that affects us all. do you complement this rhythm? do you try to ignore it? are you out of step?

welcome!

these are the tales of a dancing diplomat!! sometimes this mission keeps me and my dance company - life, rhythm, move project - at home in washington, dc. at other times, we find ourselves kick ball changing across the country and globe. enjoy these pictures and updates of recent adventures.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hip Hop Lives in La Paz…and Denmark!


I am constantly amazed at the global appeal and reach of this thing that started in the Bronx in the 1970s.  On these trips, I have met countless amazing Hip Hop dancers who are self-taught, courtesy of youtube.  While I applaud the Internet’s ability to act as a teacher for countless of us, sometimes you can’t get the whole story from one article or video clip.  With some of the younger dancers I’ve met, you can see how on fire they are to learn the moves and steps they see on the computer screen. Now, while I won’t be teaching anyone to spin on his or head anytime soon, I still feel there is something I can offer.  The most important role as a Cultural Envoy is to impart information and make sure the history is being taught and shared.  Only after laying this groundwork can I get in there and start teaching technique, musicality and performance quality.  It is a job I do with much honor.

In La Paz, we were invited to an event while off the clock.  When you’re on these tours, any moment of free time is precious because you are pushing your body and your voice to the limit.  However, I usually am willing to subscribe to the “I’ll sleep when I’m back home” ideology and push through.  I’m so glad we did this.  There is an organization doing tremendous work with the youth using Hip Hop…ALL FOUR ELEMENTS!! They are on it with preserving the culture and history of this beautiful art form.  KAI (Comunidad Oculta del Hip Hop) is my new best friend!! They hosted a show, featuring guest rap artists Zaiki and VAkili from Denmark to perform.  These two were amazaing!! But even more than that the local youth performed….INCREIBLE!! Male AND female dope emcees, bboys and graffiti artists!! We thought we were just guests at the show, but we were invited to freestyle a little bit.  Oh well for being off the clock.  It was a great night…one big happy Hip Hop familia!!

No comments: