because life is not static, there is an inherent beat and rhythm to it that affects us all. do you complement this rhythm? do you try to ignore it? are you out of step?

welcome!

these are the tales of a dancing diplomat!! sometimes this mission keeps me and my dance company - life, rhythm, move project - at home in washington, dc. at other times, we find ourselves kick ball changing across the country and globe. enjoy these pictures and updates of recent adventures.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Sole-ful Journey: Returning to Honduras to deliver shoes and workshops

Okay, whew!!! That’s me trying to catch my breath and keep up with myself. In the last 6 weeks, I have mounted a successful evening-length show at Dance Place, conducted a two-week Envoy trip to Bolivia, and traveled to see family over the holidays. It would be hard to prove I’m a DC, let alone US resident given my travels…and there’s one final important trip to take before the year’s end.

Back to Honduras I go!!! Traveling independently of the State Department, the purpose of this trip is to deliver shoes from We Got Sole to the kids in Tela at the Casa de la Cultura. I will also travel to Masca to say hello to George and Clara and to Tegucigalpa to reconnect with students and colleagues there. The dancing diplomat was to accomplish this in only 4 days! (Juli cannot come this time, so it’s just me representing the work we both started.)

First stop, Tela (via San Pedro Sula). I must thank God for favor, because traveling with two big boxes of shoes turned out to be pretty hassle-free. Somehow I traveled first class for a leg of my trip (didn’t pay for it, but guess the airline realized a dancing diplomat was in there presence) and subsequently did not have to pay extra for my checked boxes. Upon arrival in San Pedro Sula, customs wanted me to pay a fee for the shoes, but after employing my diplomatic gift of gab and locating my host from the center, I was allowed to enter with boxes in tow free of charge. Jean-Charles Martel is a volunteer at La Casa, and he and Jessica, one of the students, pick me up from the airport. Jessica is the same funny little payaso I remember from May. Jean-Charles, or Juan Carlos, teaches theatre workshops with the students. He is SO devoted to the center and the kids and is the most consistent, positive adult active in their lives. I congratulate him for his dedication. 

He and his partner, Suzanne, are from Quebec, but have been in Tela for 8 years. It’s quite a change of scenery from their hometown. However, they constructed a paradise of a house in Tela and I felt so at home with them and their 2 dogs. They tell me about how life really is in this town. I quickly understand that bringing shoes is just one small thing I can do, but to really be a change agent, I will have to be stay involved with the youth here. 

Off to the center. How wonderful it is to see the same beautiful faces from only months ago! However, the numbers are down. This is due in part to some affects of the coup this past June and how the school calendar has changed. It’s also partly the nature of youth centers; the composition of the group is always going through changes. I am saddened to learn that one alum was recently killed. Even more bothered to learn that two of the guys just got out of jail. I’m trying to stay positive about my “gift” for the kids, but it’s a little bittersweet. The kids show me their moves…I’m still impressed and happy to see the guys have gotten better with their musicality. The ladies are still enthusiastic movers, but it’s so clear to me they are thirsty for a dance instructor. They have the natural facility to move, but lack technique and a challenge. Hmmm….my wheels start turning.
 
After their demo and a little pep talk, I present the shoes. It was exciting to see them sift through the buffet of shoes and find a pair they liked. Unfortunately, one incredibly talented dancer was left without a pair…we have to send Ariel a pair of shoes because he is very focused and gifted and deserving!! It’s a goal I will achieve. Due to a conflict with the schedule, I was unable to teach a workshop. So again, I felt a little shortchanged. BUT….estoy segura que regresare! (I’m sure I will be back.)


I HAVE to go back to Tela. I have something to offer. Of course I want to put on my deluxe cape and change their lives in one visit; but underneath my warm fuzziness is a woman who is quite aware of reality. These kids live in an environment that does not encourage them to dream. There are not lots of people really investing in them. I get it. I will HAVE to settle for small victories. And settling for that is a major accomplishment for me. So, I am already looking at the calendar and planning a return and a longer stay. More shoes, more workshops, more in-depth programming. I know it means a lot that these young people know they have advocates in the States. So I want to offer them a chance to really benefit from we advocates can do with them. I know I have a brother and sister engaged in this fight….I’m right with you Jean-Charles and Suzanne!! Tela, nos vemos pronto!!!

No comments: