because life is not static, there is an inherent beat and rhythm to it that affects us all. do you complement this rhythm? do you try to ignore it? are you out of step?

welcome!

these are the tales of a dancing diplomat!! sometimes this mission keeps me and my dance company - life, rhythm, move project - at home in washington, dc. at other times, we find ourselves kick ball changing across the country and globe. enjoy these pictures and updates of recent adventures.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Cruzing for Hip Hop

Hola Bolivia!!  

Two years ago I came to Bolivia as a Cultural Envoy.  I came with my great friend and colleague Juliana.  We spent most of the time in La Paz (managing the intense altitude) and then we ventured to Cochabamba and we finished in Santa Cruz.  But we only had two days with the crucenos.  So, imagine how excited I was to receive an invitation to return to Santa Cruz for a week - workshops, lec/dems and a performance  Unfortunately, this would be a solo trip. But all the same, I felt honored to have been asked and confident that I could put on my superhero cape and venture out to save the world through dance.   

Dancing Diplomats CAN travel light!
After postponing the trip due to an H1N1 outbreak and learning that my rebooked scheduled flight was going to leave half a day earlier, I still managed to pack everything into my two allotted carry-ons and arrive at Regan National with plenty of time.  Well, thank God I packed efficiently because I was quickly informed that I would need a visa to enter Bolivia.  I almost died.  (I do not do well at airports!) Thankfully they discovered that I would just need to run to a CVS to get passport photos and complete the visa application and could get the necessary stamp at the Bolivian airport. Whew!

I had a "really short" 7-hour layover in Miami.  I'm not sure how I did it, but I survived, though I'm sure I NEVER want to do that again.  I was excited to see Rene and Alberto from the CBA - Centro Cultural Boliviano Americano - where I will be working for the next week.  All three of us experienced the "joys" of sitting in the non-reclining emergency exit aisle seats.  And worse, riding in the middle on a 7-hour flight with no vegetarian food options was great!!  Only topped by the 1-hour layover in La Paz -- just long enough to be teased by the altitude. (All reasons #537-545 as to why I want my own plane.)


Well, the flight experience wasn't the best, but immediately, it was worth it.  Although I was jetlag-drunk, as soon as I landed it all became better.  Claudia, aka "Petty" greeted us at the airport waving a newspaper that had major coverage on my trip and the Week of Hip Hop.  That coupled with the sweet tropical temps put a smile on my face.  The dancing diplomat was ready to jump in and get started...well, okay I was flat out exhausted, pero igual, bien lista para conocer a todos y empezar!






No comments: