because life is not static, there is an inherent beat and rhythm to it that affects us all. do you complement this rhythm? do you try to ignore it? are you out of step?

welcome!

these are the tales of a dancing diplomat!! sometimes this mission keeps me and my dance company - life, rhythm, move project - at home in washington, dc. at other times, we find ourselves kick ball changing across the country and globe. enjoy these pictures and updates of recent adventures.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Shhhh....People Dancing!!

Libraries Make EXCELLENT Dance Studios


You ever have a desire to relive the "Marian, the Librarian" moment from The Music Man?  Well, I often wish that I could have a musical moment where sudden song and dance broke forth in the most unlikeliest of places.  As it turns out, you really can have what you wish for.


Cascades Library
Over the past year, I have been cultivating a relationship with the Virginia libraries and giving on-site Hip Hop dance workshops.  That's right! I feel like there should be a sign that reads, "Shhhh! People Dancing!"  In 2011, a colleague put me in contact with a teen library coordinator in Loudon County, Virginia.

Rust Library
In the spring of 2012, I traveled to three libraries in that region and conducted dance workshops for teens.  We had a blast. I had a flashback of all the times I'd been hushed or even found myself virtually living in the library studying.  In none of those instances, would I have even dreamed of turning around and seeing a woman rocking out with kids and playing music WITHOUT headphones.  Yet, that is exactly what we did.

Most of the participants at the Cascades, Rust and Ashburn libraries were new to Hip Hop dance, but I definitely met some fresh young talent.  Not only did I teach them moves, but I made sure they left with a basic knowledge of the history and culture surrounding the art form. I'd like to send a big thanks to Kathleen Britto for making the mini-tour last spring possible. I'll be returning this February for more fun times.

Asbhurn Library
This past November, I made a shorter journey to Alexandria, Virginia for more "dancing with books." Ginny Rawls is the Young Adult Librarian that coordinated a one-day workshop at Beatley Central Library. This time, the music and energy proved that dancing is not ageist, as adults joined in on the fun.



Beatley Central Library, Alexandria, VA





So, it's official. Libraries indeed serve as excellent dance studios. If you are interested in bringing a lec/dem, workshop or interactive performance to your library, let me know!

No comments: